The years 1950-63 were Leslie King’s as first team skipper. John Cutts captained the seconds from 1951-59, taking over from E. W. ‘Hutch’ Hutchings, who was promoted to first team vice-captain.
‘Hutch’ was the Club’s raconteur and leg-spinner. In his late forties he would wear shin pads to field as bending was a problem. And he was always immaculately dressed. Blazers were quite the fashion and players used to “dress” to go up to the Clubhouse.
His successor, Cutts, took his responsibility for match teas very seriously and often used to disappear at 4.30 pm. to check they were being made. If he did not return, he was making them.
The early ‘fifties recorded many draws and few losses (just three in 1953 out of 32 played).
Radlett’s bar, a large hatch in those days, was run single-handed by Evo Sanger from 6 p.m. until the last customer left on match days. She was a small woman and her head came just above the bar top. Musical accompaniments were provided by her husband Ronnie, vice-captain of the seconds and a dab hand at a rugby song.