Categories
1890s

1892 – Good Under-Arm

Availability however did not get better, mainly because of Saturday working among the ‘village’ or tradesmen members as opposed to the ‘Club’ or gentry members.

But although plans to amalgamate with Shenley and Elstree clubs were discussed, they never matured and Radlett CC has remained separate to this day.

Amazingly enough, the Club has not always been alone in Radlett. A few hundred yards towards Elstree and still in Newberries Park, the staff at the mansion used to play on a rough, sloping pitch on the Borehamwood side of Craigweil Avenue above the crossroads with Newberries Avenue. They kept their equipment in an old wooden chest under a tree.

Here one of the Club’s oldest vice-presidents, Harold Knee, saw “the last of the under-arm bowlers performing – and he was mighty good at it too!” Harold’s father scored for John Burrell’s XI, playing in a field just west of Gills Hill Lane. And Radlett United comprising of young men and boys in their teens played annually in Smith’s field, north of the Ridgeway off New Road. (In the early 1900s Radlett also boasted four golf courses, including Porters Park and Newberries).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.